Followers

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Oh how things are different...METRIC HELL!


Well, it has been an interesting journey so far...everything is metric and can you believe it, people WEIGH their flour here instead of just filling up 1 or 2 cup measures *sigh*. I was hoping to make some popovers and thought an authentic pan (like the one i left behind) would be a nice touch. You can't find one ANYWHERE. More to the point, no one knows what is it! So discouraging. We've made our way to ASDA (basically walmart) to specialty cooking supply shops where a spatula can easily run you $40.00. You think someone in there would know what a Popover pan is. Oh well, perhaps its time to get reacquainted with ebay and simply import the things i would like to have...like an American cookbook, that's not all measured in Metric with REAL recipes. I don't think i've ever encountered the use of Lard so frequently in my life until i perused a couple of the cookbooks here. It may sound like i'm grumpy, but if you could see me, my eyes are alight with awe at the differences and discoveries. I've made a lovely batch of Yorkshire pudding and then was unable to do it again. I must have thrown 5 batches in the bin (trash) but have been unable to repeat the success of my beginners luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well kid, you get better baked goods if you weight the flour because its moisture content changes with the seasons. you have seen me cook and asked how come, i cant do that. I am used to the flour and with 50 years of experience cooking I can just tell. popover pans are hard to find here. they have them at william sonoma but very expensive there. try custard cups, works well.
love, Mom

Kerina Stull said...

I Love You TiTi! Love, Kerina