Followers

Thursday 6 May 2010

Choo-Choo!

Yet another family outing, we decided this time we would go look at the steam trains. While the experience as a whole was very fun, especially for the children, I have to say yet again I am unimpressed with the food. I've decided to rate food places as we go to them so everyone who reads this blog will understand just how bad standard fare is in the U.K. I am told that the U.K. has more 3 star restaurants than any other country…my questions is this…where the hell are they? I'm not the world's most dazzling cook and to be honest, there have been one or two "oops" in my kitchen. But even I, void of my magic wooden spoon, can whip up a meal better than these places that boast "seriously good food" on their sandwich boards decorating the sidewalks.

To begin our journey, we arrive in the little town of Lugborough where, after some shuffling and minor traffic jams we parked our car in a grassy area. Very similar to the grassy parking available at the local fairgrounds, only smaller. The day was very windy and somewhat cold and it seems everyone had come out to see the steam trains. There was your typical gentle pushing and shoving and I must admit the "I-have-to-be-first" Syndrome is a lot more acute than in the states.

We boarded a stationary dining car, and I use the word dining loosely. Sandwiches and tea/coffee were served. All the sandwiches coated in butter, the coffee was of course, INSTANT *gag* and cold. As we looked for a seat we noticed that many people had decided they would keep their table while waiting for the next train to come. Though they had no food, drink or anything else, and people were wandering around looking for a place to sit. The manners I've seen here make me wonder how any of us American's could buy into the civil graces and revere England for its manners when this is the is how the locals behave. Of course, it would be just as bad to ask someone to give up their table, so way back in the last car we found some rickety wooden folding chairs and some equally unsteady tiny tables to sit at and attempt to eat our food. I winced after two sips of coffee and decided I need to lose weight anyway, so no lunch for me.

We finally boarded the steam train, railway guards meandered around watching passengers board. The private cars (the sort you see in Harry Potter movies) were taken and held fast, so we found ourselves in the open public car rolling at speeds of 20 mph. The scenery was amazing and the children were both intrigued at the countryside. The train made slow clacking sounds as it progressed 5 or so miles to the next station. Of course we had a round trip ticket and enjoyed stepping off the train to enjoy the little village of our destination before making our way back to the grassy field where we parked our car. All in all, it was a good day. The children excitedly marched toward the car after raiding the souvenir shop. All in all it was a great experience and I love that we can say we've ridden on a steam train!


0 comments: